Packaging plays a critical role to contain, protect, preserve, transport, inform and communicate our brands to our consumers. As part of our ambition to deliver First Choice for Consumers and Customers we are committed to delivering packaging which meets or exceeds expectations for performance, product integrity, consumer safety and environmental sustainability. We see this as part of reducing our negative Beer Print. As stated in our Global Packaging Policy, we are committed to:
- Reduce the amount of packaging used,
- Re-use packaging where possible,
- Collect and recycle all packaging materials or educate the consumer in the recyclability of our packaging, and
- Support Our Beer Print agenda
2020 Strategic Goal
In 2016 Molson Coors set a new long-term strategic packaging goal to reduce packaging weight by 10% by 2020 per unit of production (baseline 2015). The scope for the goal will include all owned production facilities including the Molson Coors International (MCI) business.
- Increasing or adding recycled content of materials where possible
- Expanding consumer engagement in recycling efforts
- Continued use of sustainably certified materials for our packaging
- Packaging Optimization through weight and format
In 2012 we set a goal to achieve 4% absolute reduction in primary packaging weight by 2015. The goal was based on primary packaging only. Since then we have improved data collection approaches to include secondary packaging. In 2014 we collected both primary and secondary packaging usage data for the first time. We re-baselined our 2012 and 2013 data to include secondary packaging. In 2015 we revised our 2015 target and committed to reduce packaging weight by 25% from a baseline of 2012, we exceeded that annual target and reduced packaging by 31%.
Total Packaging Sold Globally (tonnes)1
|2012||2013||2014||2015||% Change in Weight (against 2012 baseline)|
1 Molson Coors International (MCI) was not included in the 2015 target, they are included for 2020 target.
2 Excluding keg volumes.