In 2014 Molson Coors focused on executing our Enterprise Sustainability Strategy. This resulted in concrete action on water conservation and risk mitigation in two main areas:
1. Delivered on our commitment to invest in waste water to energy projects. In 2014, Molson Coors commissioned a new anaerobic digestion (AD) waste water treatment plant in our brewery in Haskovo, Bulgaria and started construction on two other AD treatment plants in Apatin, Serbia and Trebjesa, Montenegro respectively. The two plants were commissioned in the first quarter of 2015, bringing the total to seven breweries operating with this technology. The investment of $11.8 million in these three projects represents a real commitment to delivering the environmental and business benefits we set out to achieve in our Strategy.
2. The implementation of the Our Beer Print Pillar. The Pillar is part of our World Class Supply Chain continuous improvement program, and which acts as a robust energy, water, Carbon and waste management system is expected to deliver important water savings and risk reduction through better planning, process control and risk management. In 2014, we implemented the Our Beer Print Pillar in all of our breweries. In so doing we trained our production sites on good water management practice, established plans to align each one with the requirements of the system, and audited them against the standard. This has resulted in the following improvements:
- Better water savings planning to secure resources for projects;
- A deeper engagement of our employees on the importance of minimizing water use;
- Enhanced ability to develop meaningful water conservation targets and track progress; and
- A greater understanding on behalf of each brewery of the local water-related risks.